Monday, September 20, 2004

I Missed It or Did I?

I have been traveling this past week, visiting my friend in Texas and my aunt in Iowa. I attended my aunt's church (Link) with her this past Sunday. The Deacon's message centered around Luke 16:1-13 (Link).

The Deacon intoned that many Bible scholars agreed that this particular passage was about stewardship, being good stewards or keepers of the blessings that God gives to each of us. He then said that he didn't agree with these Bible scholars because *&**#(*@#*&##@.

It was at that moment that my brain was suddenly entertained with a bunch of internal noise and thoughts. I noticed that the Dean appeared to be nodding off, but maybe not. I noticed the gentleman's shirt who was sitting in front of me. I noticed the lady's dress sitting across from me. I was distracted by the beauty of the stained glass windows. I thought about how we were going to breakfast later that day. Then, since I was in a new church, I pondered whether I should take communion there. I decided that I would. Then, since I don't drink alcohol, and they serve wine that I would have to bypass the cup but could partake of the wafers.

All of a sudden, I realized that the message was over. And that I had missed it. I was disappointed because I really had wanted to know why the Deacon disagreed with the Bible scholars of today and what he thought the parable was about if it wasn't about being good stewards.

I happily solved my problem by resolving to discuss the Deacon's message with my aunt and uncle. As it turns out, I will likely never find out because neither my aunt nor uncle were able to follow his message enough to discern his interpretation of the parable. They explained that the Deacon is in training and his message today was practice.

This situation reminded me of when in my teenage years, I attended church because it was expected of me. But, how my mind would wander during the sermon and I never really learned anything because I was too busy observing the one wavering hair on the head of the man in front of me or something.

But, really, it reminded me that before I do anything with the Lord, I need to prayerfully commit my thoughts to God so that I may truly stay focused on Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home