Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Being a Light.

In my devotions this morning, the topic was the meaning of names. It discussed Sarah's naming of her son, Isaac ... which means "laughter." In the Bible, the MEANING of the given name was oftentimes more important than the name itself. So much so, that in Genesis 35:18, Rachel named her son (as she died) Ben-Oni and was re-named Benjamin by his father.

My first name means "God is gracious or God's gracious gift" and my middle name means "joy or rejoicer." It seems I've always known the meaning of my name. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm living up to the meaning. I struggle with depression, anxiety, anger, pride, irritation, impatience and so much more on a daily basis.

Yet, last week I received an e-mail from a friend who wrote, "As I was just sitting reading your Christmas letter I was thinking what an incredible women of God you are. Thank you for sharing your journey and how in the pain you have relied on God. You are beautiful." I was so startled as I read her words, thinking she couldn't possibly mean me. I even checked to make sure I hadn't accidentally logged into someone elses e-mail account.

Her words were such an encouragement to me. We can all be an encouragement to each other, it just takes a moment of our time and a small draw from our reservoirs of empathy and compassion. We all feel sad from time-to-time. The next time we notice someone is struggling (whether in life or on blog), remember, those are the times when we need each other the most. Instead of walking or clicking away, take a moment and remind them that things will get better. Offer them a kind word. A gentle hug. Offer something so they know they're not alone.

We need each other.

This post says it better than I can ... Link.

****** Name research ******

Name meanings: Link
Name meanings: Link
Name origin: Link
If your name isn't there, they have a message board you can search (choose "all posts" vs. "recent posts"): Link

11 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger RedFred said...

I'm Manly.... :-p

Oh and I'm a Taurus too....

I don't put a lot of stock in those superstitions.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger RedFred said...

Hi, I thought you might be interested in this artical.... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32411-2004Dec28.html/?nav=yb-t2

Given your blog on Endometriosis and your religious beliefs, I immediatly thought of you and wondered what your take on the situation was. I know you want Children (not wanting to freak you or Tony out) but would you consider this avenue if you were in the same situation (actually on reflection I should have put your mother on the top of that "not to freak out" list). What do you make of the Reverands comments with regard to the ethics of their decision.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Thanks, Stuart, I'll check it out.

Hi Redfred, I have no problem with surrogacy (done the clinical way). My mom would be unable to carry, though, as she had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 42. I have a girlfriend, however, who has already offered to carry for me if I'm unable to do so. She offered the second she found out I might be unable to.

I think complete honesty between all the parties involved is critical for a successful surrogacy, though, and that pre-pregnancy counseling should be mandatory.

I worked with a girl once who was a surrogate mom. She was very sound emotionally and matter-of-fact about the pregnancy. It was the greatest gift she had ever given to someone.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger RedFred said...

I don't have a problem with surrogacy either, although I would prefer people to adopt, there are so many needy causes out there. I just wondered if you had any religious problems witha grandmother giving birth to her grandchildren, The rev in the artical obviously did.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Saija said...

Jeanette - from what i've learned of you through blogging - JOY is definitely one of your gifts - even if you are having a bad day, that JOY just seems to forces itself out . . . big hugs, saija

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Waterfall said...

Hi Jeanette, I just found your blog via the Hamper (I think) ... interesting post on name meanings. I'm the same as you--my (full) first name means "God's Gracious Gift" (it's a form of Jane), and my middle name means "Joy." :-)

Looking forward to reading more of your blog when I get a chance. Take care, and have a happy new year. --Nina

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

RF: No, I haven't a problem with it. It might be a little strange for the son/son-in-law to be involved with the actual birth, for the sake of propriety. If you get my drift. But, really, the surrogate mom is the carrier not the gene provider. Sort of.

Saija: Thank you, dear. That's very kind of you to say. I have certainly had some "down" times the last couple of years. But, with God's grace, he has held me close.

Nina: Hello, to a fellow Hamperette! How very cool that we share similar name meanings. :)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Elysha said...

It says in my name book at home that my first name (Elysha) means "sweet and blissful" but on one of those websites it says it means "From the blessed isles." I think I'll stick to sweet and blissful. :D My middle name Natalia means "child born at Christmas time" and I'm born in May, but that's ok. :) My middle name is named after my great grandmother and she's also born in spring!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger RedFred said...

The babies were born by c-section so no problems with propriatry. Intresting though that you differ from the Reverand who maintained that the carrier, not the genetic mother was actually the parent.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Loved this post. Sometimes I think God purposely chose our names to give us a vision for how He sees us and who we are becoming. I used to hate my name's meaning, "little one" until I learned that another meaning is "dependent on God." Now that is something to aspire to, truly depending upon Him and not my own meager efforts at life.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Hi Lysha, what a unique name you have. And the meaning is beautiful (or blissful) (grin). It's cool that your name continues a familial name. My brother's middle name was my dad's first name. My dad's middle name was his mom's maiden name.

Redfred, I guess because I'm looking at it from the intentions of the people involved? Combined with the genetics of the situation? I don't know why that is. But, that's how I see it.

Hi Paula! I thought it was interesting how God directed several name changes in the Bible to fit his vision of them. That is a really cool meaning of your name. :) Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home