Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Is It For Real?

I was listening to my morning radio show the other day. The people who DJ the show are really talented. They have just the right mixture of depth, humor, warmth, vulnerability, silliness and love for each other to make their show worth listening to. Such a diverse group of people, too. I've listened to them for at least 16 years, following them from station to station as they moved around throughout their career.

The other morning, their topic of discussion was "What is the one question you can ask yourself to know whether your love is the forever kind of love."

It seemed like a fun little game, so I decided to play along. The questions were intended, of course, towards finding your soulmate.

One caller said the one question to ask yourself is "Do you need him because you want him or do you want him because you need him?"
Another caller said, "Would you love him if he had nothing?"
The next one, "Would you love him if he were a quadroplegic?"
The next one, "Can you imagine your life without him in it?"
The next one, "Are you a better person for being around him?"
The final one, which was the show stopper was "There is no question. You just know. If you're asking yourself these questions, then he's not the one."

I have to admit that I was somewhat irritated by the "final" one. I believe that, generally, teenagers do not have the life experience to "just know." They THINK they do, which is a dangerous line to walk. At that point, though, I think parents play a critical role in guiding their teenager through their decision. If the teenager disengages from the parent at that point, I think that would be a clear indication that the teenager isn't ready for a marriage. (I make that statement based on the assumption that the parent loves their child and wants what's best for them based on the parent's life experience.)

Even as a 34 year old, the "just knowing" phenomena is risky. By that age, I think we've gained life experience but, if we've been burned by bad experiences, we will likely question and analyze everything. We are not willing to trust our intuition so completely. While the questions above are fun and cliche, I think the following questions (that I received from an e-mail list I'm part of) are much more thoughtful and based on life's realities:

1. Am I able to pursue my own interests without recriminations?
2. Am I allowed to express myself in my own unique way without criticism?
3. Can I speak freely about my beliefs, spiritual path, and differences without being ignored or ridiculed?
4. Do I speak my truth easily without fear of confrontation?
5. Do I accept and tolerate, with respect, my partner's lack of knowledge or interest in any of the above?
6. I need to feel happy with myself first. Know myself well and be true to that without guilt or fear of loss. If I can be on my own in such a way that I know I don't actually need another and that I am a whole, then I am ready for a better relationship with a significant other. And that person could just as well be my partner.
7. When I leave this world, will I be content and at peace with the person I leave with, i.e. MYSELF, not the person I lived with?

It seems that so many people prepare for the wedding of the century, but they fail to look beyond that to the future of living daily with another person in close quarters. When you're searching for the Forever Friend (i.e., soulmates) you have to take a close look at everything. Marriage is a binding of all parts of you. You can't just go with your heart (i.e., you just know) when there's 3 parts of you that will marry someone.

9 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger RedFred said...

OK, This one has a lot of relavance for me, as you well know! I don't know how to address all of it, so i will put a question right back at you....

Given that My 18 year old daughter is desperate to grow up and specifically move out and into an apartment with her boyfriend, sorry Fiancee. Should she get married because his father will not aprove of living in sin? Should she just move in and be damned with his father? should she continue her "unbearable" life at home so as to not offend either parent?

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

We're all desperate to grow up, that's part of growing up, I think. I know your situation, but I don't know your daughter or her guy.

When I wrote this post, I was specifically thinking about myself at 18. I had a lot of maturity (for someone that age) but I lacked experience. I saw the red flags, but I didn't know what they meant or how they would apply to the long term. Nor did I know what the far reaching ramifications of living with those red flags would be on me psychologically and physically.

The point I guess that I'm trying to make is that she may, indeed, feel that she's moving from an intolerable situation by leaving her parents. But, my concern for her, at her age is that she may very well be moving into another situation that may in the future prove to be MORE intolerable.

For me, personally, I would never live together before marriage. But, that is my choice based on my beliefs. And, I'm sure that answer doesn't surprise you.

What's the rush, I guess is the question. Anything that's worth having TRULY is worth waiting for.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Jeanette,

Good thoughts. I was just thinking today about someone in my life I'm very concerned about. She seems to be expressing herself less and less and I wonder if it is because her mate is not validating her needs. So, your list has so much wisdom in it. My husband is really good at validating my feelings even when he disagrees with me. I think I would have been crushed to give myself intimately to someone who didn't validate who I am and the needs and feelings I express.

Hey, thanks for stopping over at gracereign. I was really hoping you'd comment. (Would have probably emailed and asked you do if you didn't.) I'm really interested in the responses I'm getting!

Bless you sweet lady!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Rev. Kimberly Rich said...

Jeanette,

I found the information you mentioned on my blog. I posted it today. Enjoy.

Have a Great Day!!! Pass it on!!!

Love and Light

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Stephen "Steve" said...

When you know, you know. You know with every fiber of your being. How do you know that Jesus is the savior? I'll bet you JUST KNOW. How do you know that there is a higher reason for everything we experience? You just know.

When you fall in love and it is right, there are no red flags, conscious or sub. When the other person is perfect, that is exactly what they are. Most people probably never know that feeling. Or maybe they create red flags because they don't believe strong enough that there is a Perfect.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was engaged to a real Ass when I was 18. He was emotionally abusive. It was pretty textbook--Slowly isolating me from friends and family. Requiring me to "check in" with him before I went anywhere. He once punched a hole in the wall to "avoid hitting me". . . his words, not mine. I think he thought he was doing me a favor by not hitting me, too. There are other things that still embarass me too much to ever mention to another soul. I can only say I truly hate one person in this world, and it is the guy I almost married.
I follwed that relationship with one that was almost completely devoid of emotion because I didn't ever want to be controlled again. Then I was single for two years. I had a couple of very, um, short-term non-serious relationships. Again, no interest in being controlled. I wanted to get my degree, have my own life, and make my own way. The point is, I had baggage.
Then I met Steve. It was so obviously right from the beginning. I know it seemed crazy and impulsive to our friends and family, which is why we didn't tell anyone we were engaged after only three months of dating (two of those months he was in Peru. And since he lived in California and I lived in Louisiana, we had technically only spent about three weeks in each other's physical presence. . .) So you could say that we "just knew". The best way I have come up with to describe it to people is that he immediately felt like family to me, and so it never felt like rushing. It was more like, "Ah, yes! Here you are. I was waiting for you."
Without really knowing why, I have always trusted Steve. Not just trusted him as in he'd never cheat (the notion is ridiculous to me), but I trust him with me.
So I guess that would be my one question: Do you trust him with you?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Paula, Thank you for swinging by my blog. Is there a way you can take your friend out to lunch or something? Sometimes, when someone's in a situation like that, a friend demonstrating that they care can be a God send. *IF* it is that kind of situation, sometimes they may feel as if they're not allowed to talk to anyone about their problems EXCEPT their mate. Which then leads to an unbalance in their life. We need ALL our friends, not just one.

Robyn, Thank you ... I enjoyed your interesting post. :)

Steve, For someone who has been through a bad situation they have to learn how to separate the red flags from before and see that what they're seeing now are ghosts from something before, not present reality. Sometimes I feel like damaged goods. But, I'm learning.

Marigold, Thank you for sharing. I had no idea the experience you went through. I related to everything you wrote, including the hole in the wall to avoid hitting me. The "checking in" ... everything. For my X, he hit the wall instead of me because not hitting a woman was a pride thing for him. He wanted to always be able to declare "I've never hit a woman."

I enjoyed everything you shared. Your description of him feeling like family. Yeah. Your closing question is a good one. It really does all come down to trust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home