Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Patience Vest.

One of the things I struggle with A LOT in my daily life is being impatient. For the most part, if you were to see me standing in line or waiting at a red light, you would never guess it by looking at me. I don't gnash my teeth or grump at anyone. In fact, most of the time I have a little smile playing about my lips. But inwardly I am perpetually drumming my fingers.

It's comical, really, when I think or analyze why I'm so impatient. For once in my life, I have a boss who never watches the clock. I have a fiance who never watches the clock. Yet old habits die hard. I am so used to having someone ELSE put pressure on me to be one way or another. So, why am I so impatient? Why am I in such a gol' darn hurry to get home for? I'm not on a strict time clock at work or at home anymore. I report to ... myself and God.

The other day I consciously made a decision not to be impatient. When I went to the post office, I didn't get annoyed with the old guy in front of me who was driving slowly. I captured my impatient thought of "Will I need a ventilator by the time we get there?" and reminded myself of my decision.

When I came out from the post office, I didn't get annoyed at the little old lady who was parked next to me who had her passenger door open (which meant I couldn't open my car door). In fact, I reached out to help her open her package wheeler because her other hand was holding her cane. She apologized two or three times for being in my way and I kept telling her that she wasn't in my way, she was simply living her life. Do you know something? Her eyes welled up with tears at the kindness that God enabled me to show her.

Do you know something else? I learned that sometimes, when you don the Patience Vest, you can connect with another human being. That connection is worth the extra 30 seconds.

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooo like you! When I'm on the move, I can get very irratated with people who "get in my way!" And truthfully, why in the world am I in such a big hurry, anyway? I guess I have to beat my own best time!

Thanks for the lesson. It is a good reminder extend some grace and/or mercy to others along the journey!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Hi Jeanette,

Just blogging to say howdy to you my friend. Really enjoyed this post. It sure was worth the 30 sec's.

Be blessed my friend,

Writing for the King,

Paul

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Saija said...

i like Stuart's comment ... his "mum" sounds like a smart lady!

and i liked your post Jeanette ... i read it the other day and thought about the blessing the Lord gave you in your yielding to Him ... and thought about my own patience levels - to make sure i check them daily!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Stuart, thanks for sharing your mum's little saying. It made me smile.

Gayla, yeah, I always have to remind myself that I'm not a fireman despite the fact that I drive a red car. :)

Paul, good to see you around these parts. I keep you in my prayers daily. I'm glad you enjoyed my 30 second post. :)

Saija, you seem like the most patient person in the world. :) Yes, touching others is a blessing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home