Monday, June 27, 2005

Ups and Downs of Life.

I've heard theories spouted when discussing Biblical theories on an email list I'm a part of that King David may have been bi-polar. They base that assumption on the incredible ups that he seemed to experience and the incredible lows that he had.

The last discussion that was had about this topic was about two weeks ago. I've been thinking about it since.

What I think is that David wrote the book of Psalms over a period of several years. Yes, there are some extreme fluctuations found in the mood of the Psalms. Some chapters are comforting -- obviously Psalms 23 is turned to by many in times of difficulty as a form of solace. Some chapters are sad and a sense of hopelessness pervades them. Then there are other chapters where the attitude is one of extreme praise, lifting hands like the leaves of the trees do to worship their Maker.

Those extreme fluctuations are a result of the events that were happening in his life. I mean, he was being CHASED for his LIFE by King Saul and his armies. He was living in caves. His faith in God was being tested every single day. He was questioning the reason for his life. I know I would if my routine was living in caves and hiding for my life -- because of the hatred of someone who had the power to kill me. In fact, I would find it downright depressing.

On the other hand, how uplifting must it have been to have God come through for him, time and again? To know that there was someone more powerful than his enemies who was looking out for him? And those times, when he was reminded of God's greatness, would be filled with praise and joy.

The extreme highs and lows of life? Or bipolar? I think the first option. But that's just my opinion.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger poetpete said...

Yeah, I agree, J -- just the ups and downs of life.

Besides, it is a crazy notion, IMHO, to paste over a life lived 3000 years ago psycholocial theories of this modern age.

I have just read a book on David, and his contention with Saul and Absolom, "Tale of Three Kings...". It is a worthy 'Sunday afternoon' read and a very easy read too. It is written in a 'tale' style, so it isn't heavy or demanding on the mind. But it is very challenging on the way we may or may not handle life's challenges. I commend it to you. especially if you want something calming and though-provoking at the same time.

Peter J.

~~~
"Tale of Three Kings: A study in brokenness." by Gene Edwards.
Publisher: Christian Books,
ISBN 0-940232-03-0

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Sugar said...

David is my one of my biggest favorites. I just love everything about him...even when he made mistakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home