Saturday, April 09, 2005

God's Timing ...

I have established a morning routine of spending at least 10 minutes with the Lord. Right after I get out of bed in the morning. See, I know the Lord loves me, even though I have morning breath and bed fuzzy hair. If he doesn't, well, I guess I'm really pushing it. ;) But, hey, it's His fault I have that stuff, right? I mean, He made me the way I am.

Part of my routine, at least this year, is I'm studying the women of the Bible and then I read a poem from Helen Steiner Rice. Usually, my eyes glaze over when reading poetry, always have had trouble with that. I can write my own, but then going back and reading it, same trouble. Which is evidenced by the "F" I received in high school poetry class. For some reason, I don't get that way with Ms. Rice's work.

I thought I'd share the poem that I read over the last three days. This one really touched my heart because of a situation I'm working through ... maybe it will touch yours, too.

When we are deeply disturbed with a problem
and our minds are filled with doubt
And we struggle to find a solution
but there seems to be no way out,
We futilely keep on trying
to untangle our web of distress
But our own little, puny efforts
meet with very little success...

And finally, exhausted and weary,
discouraged and downcast and low,
With no foreseeable answer
and with no other place to go,
We kneel down in sheer desperation
and slowly and stumblingly pray,
Then impatiently wait for an answer,
which we fully expect right away.

And then when God does not answer
in one sudden instant, we say,
"God does not seem to be listening,
so why should we bother to pray?"
But God can't get through to the anxious,
who are much too impatient to wait --
You have to believe in God's promise
that He comes not too soon or too late.

For whether God answers promptly
or delays in answering your prayer,
You must have faith to believe Him
and to know in your heart He'll be there.
So be not impatient or hasty,
just trust in the Lord and believe.
For whatever you ask in faith and love,
in abundance you are sure to receive.

Helen Steiner Rice

3 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Saija said...

that's a good poem ... i've always liked HSR poetry ... she gets her thoughts across so sweetly ... it's also nice to know that i'm not the only one who has a problem with patience! sigh

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Nice. Thanks for the reminder. Your blog and Heather's today both make me think of the old hymn, "What a Friend We Have In Jesus"

Hope your day is blessed.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Saija, I love her work. It always inspires me. :)

Paula, We DO have a friend in Jesus. Thanks for stopping by. :)

 

<< Home