Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Religion ... Tradition or Tribulation?

I had a conversation last December wherein someone said, "It doesn't matter what religion you are so long as you treat people right and you worship the one true God." The idea being that the rote of religion is merely an embodiment of different traditions and that God doesn't care how you worship Him, so long as you do worship Him.

I pondered that for awhile and then, as is my way, decided to do some research. I came across an Internet quiz which determines through questions what religion the quiz taker is and compares that result against the beliefs of other religions. My results (Link) indicated that I am a mainline to conservative Christian/Protestant and there is a 20% difference between my beliefs and Mormonism and a 31% difference to that of Roman Catholics.

Don't people normally align themselves with a church or religion that reflects their beliefs? And if a person's belief varies so greatly from one to another, is it possible that the primary foundation for religions are "treating others right" and "worshipping the one true God". Aren't there a couple of key points missing from that statement?

I was taught from the Bible that the first and foremost thing is to realize that each of us is a sinner. That Jesus came to earth to die for our sins. That the only way to acquire and have assurance of salvation/eternal life is to yield in prayer to the Lord and accept him into your "heart" as your personal saviour. That it is not possible to "work" or be good for your salvation.

Is it possible that the confusion of religion and worshipping of idols is Satan's work? Would it be incorrect or over the edge to say that if people worship idols they are, indirectly, worshipping Satan? If not, then why did God become repeatedly upset and angry with His chosen people when they worshipped idols?

If I could, at this belated date give a response to the statement that was made 9 months ago, I suppose it would be something like this ... I agree that we need to worship the one true God. I believe that we do have the ability to speak directly to God, I don't know whether he cares if we are driving along or on bended knee, so long as we are respectful. If our collective goal as human beings is to have eternal life, then I don't think that "treating people right" quite makes the cut. I believe that it has more to do with accepting Christ as your personal saviour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home